Skip to main content
Main Content

Charles F. Marsh (Charles Franklin) became the seventh president of Wofford College on September 1, 1958 and served until his retirement in 1968. Prof. Marsh's appointments at William & Mary: Associate Professor of Economics and Business Administration, 1930-1933; Professor of Economics and Business Administration, 1933-1951; Director of Department of Business Adminsitration, 1940-1943, Acting Dean of the Marshall-Wythe School of Government and Citizenship, 1942-1943; Chancellor Professor of Economics and Business Administration, 1951-1958; Dean of the Faculty, February 1, 1952-1958; Lecturer in Business Administration, 1968-1973; Lecturer in Business Administration, Emeritus, 1973.

A 1925 graduate of Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin, he earned the Master of Arts from the University of Illinois in 1926, and the Ph.D. from Illinois in 1928. He was a faculty member at American University, and from 1930 to 1958, a professor of economics at William & Mary. In his last six years at William & Mary, he was Dean of the Faculty. He was involved in civic affairs in Williamsburg, serving on several economic planning agencies. An active churchman, he was a member of several annual conference boards in the Virginia and South Carolina conferences and a member of the Methodist General Conference. Dr. Marsh also served as a member of the Methodist Commission on Church Union and as a member of the University Senate of the Methodist Church. Active in the affairs of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, he was a member of the SACS Executive Council at the time of the integration crisis at the University of Mississippi. Dr. Marsh retired from the presidency of Wofford in 1968, returning to Williamsburg to teach in the Graduate School at William & Mary.


Want to find out more?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for other resources to help you find materials of interest.

Questions? Have ideas or updates for articles you'd like to see? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at or 757-221-3090.

A note about the contents of this site

This website contains the best available information from known sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information in this website is not complete, and it changes as we continue to research and uncover new sources.