Skip to main content
Main Content

Local and State History

12 Pages
  • Bizarre Scandal

    A scandal involving the Randolph family of Virginia arising from a 1792 incident and a murder trial the following year.
  • Colonial Williamsburg

    Restoration The Restoration of Williamsburg owed much to W.A.R. Goodwin. He first conceived of the restoration while pastor of Bruton Parish from 1903 to 1909. After spending some years in New York, he returned to Williamsburg in 1923. A year later, he joined lawyer Channing Hall and William &…
  • Continuous Electron Beam Accelerator Facility

    The Continuous Electron Beam Accelerator Facility changed its name to the Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility in May 1996. The Facility is managed and operated for the U.S. Department of Energy by the Jefferson Science Associates, LLC (JSA). JSA is a Southeastern Universities Research…
  • Drapers' Company

    Material in the Special Collections Research Center The Flat Hat, William & Mary News, and Alumni Gazette:
  • Eastern State Hospital (Va.)

    Eastern State Hospital is located in Williamsburg, Virginia. The Public Hospital for Persons of Insane and Disordered Minds, as the facility was first known, was established by act of the Virginia colonial legislature on June 4, 1770. The act, which intended to "Make Provision for the Support and…
  • Jamestown, Virginia

    For basic information about Jamestown, Virginia consult the guide for Genealogy Resources at Swem, which includes a section on early settlers at Jamestown. Land patents and grants from the Library of Virginia are available at http://www.lva.virginia.gov/public/guides/Research_Notes_20.pdf 
  • Schmidt's Flowers & Accessories

    Schmidt's Flowers is the oldest flower shop in Williamsburg Virginia, established in 1939 founded by Joseph Schmidt.
  • The Common Glory

    The Jamestown Corporation produced The Common Glory, a Paul Green symphonic drama, nearly every summer of its thirty year existence.
  • Williamsburg Businesses

    While Eastern State Hospital and William & Mary remained the biggest employers, Williamsburg also hopped with new businesses, even factories. The Williamsburg Knitting Mill employed more than 100 people making men's underwear; it survived from 1900 to 1916. The Bozarth brothers and others…
  • Williamsburg City Government

    Like people all over the country, the people of Williamsburg enthusiastically embraced a series of civic improvements in the early 1900s. When politicians dragged their feet, mass meetings and civic organizations demanded progress, and the voters passed numerous bond bills. Williamsburg installed…
  • Williamsburg Education

    Over the years, numerous private schools existed in Williamsburg. The College of William & Mary had long sponsored a grammar school for white boys and in 1870 built a school on the site of the Governor's Palace. The "Mattey School" honored Matthew Whaley, the son of Mary Whaley. Her 1742…
  • Williamsburg, Virginia

    Founded in 1699, Williamsburg, Virginia was the capital of Virginia from 1698 until 1780, when the capital moved to Richmond. The city is known as the home of William & Mary, Eastern State Hospital, and Colonial Williamsburg. In 1871, prompted by Virginia's new state constitution, Williamsburg…

Want to find out more?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for other resources to help you find materials of interest.

Questions? Have ideas or updates for articles you'd like to see? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090.

A note about the contents of this site

This website contains the best available information from known sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information in this website is not complete, and it changes as we continue to research and uncover new sources.