Skip to main content
Main Content

Faculty

The list of past faculty, which originally appeared here, was removed due to both the number of errors and the difficulty and challenges in maintaining an accurate and updated list.

Faculty names can be found by using the following sources:

Those interested in material published by members of the faculty should consult Swem Library's online catalog and journal databases as well as Special Collections.

Number of Faculty

  • 1831-1833: 7
  • 1834-1837: 6
  • 1838: 8
  • 1839-1842: 5
  • 1842-1847: 4
  • 1848-1849: 5
  • 1850-1851: 6
  • 1852-1855: 7
  • 1856-1861: 6
  • 1974: 391 (from 1974 Self-Study)

Fall 1974:

  • Alphabetic Faculty Fall 1974, 1/03/75: Aceto-112, conner-108, garner-108, kerner-108, neiman-108, shepherd-108, wheeler-30; Total-682 (from the Office of Institutional Research records)
  • Alpha F,A,L,S,E 4/75: Aceto-105, Diduk-105, Jensen-105, Palmaz-105, Thomas-58, Total-478 (from the Office of Institutional Research records)
  • Alpha F,A,L,S,E 1/75: Aceto-112, Conner-108, Garner-108, Kerner-108, Neiman-108, Shepherd-108, Wheeler-30, Total- 682 (from the Office of Institutional Research records)

References

  • Number of faculty from 1831-1861 from The American Almanac and Repository of Useful Knowledge for the Year 1831, Boston: Gray and Bowen, 1830. AY 54 A5 (1831-1861).

Faculty and Staff

100 Pages
  • A.M. Pullen

    A.M. Pullen was a Lecturer of Accountancy at William & Mary during the 1919-1920 academic year. He was a member of Pullen, Henderson, McKinney, and Co., Certified Public Accountants, Richmond, Virginia. Pullen was among the first lecturers in accounting at the College. Accountancy is now…
  • Alexander Irvine

    Alexander Irvine was educated in Edinburgh, came to Philadelphia in 1727 and was appointed Professor of Mathematics and Surveying at William & Mary in 1727. From the Executive Journals of the Council of Colonial Virginia, H.R. McIlwaine, Editor. Richmond; Supt. of Public Printing, 1930, page…
  • Althea Hunt (1890-1971)

    Althea Hunt was the director of the College of William & Mary Theater from 1926-1957. She was a professor in the English and Fine Arts departments and was named Professor of Fine Arts Emeritus upon her retirement from the William & Mary in 1961. She received her B. A. degree from Alleghany…
  • Armand J. Galfo

    Dr. Armand J. Galfo received his degrees from the University of Buffalo: a B.A. in Chemistry and Mathematics in 1948, an Ed. M. in the Teaching of Science in 1952, and a Doctorate in Educational Administration and Curriculum Development in 1958, from the University of Buffalo. He joined William…
  • Carl A. Fehr

    Carl A. Fehr was a long-time Choir director and professor in the Department of Music at William & Mary. Dr. Fehr earned degrees from the University of Texas including a Bachelor of Arts in German and French (1928) and a Masters in Psychology and Sociology (1930). In 1942, he received a Masters…
  • Carl R. Dolmetsch

    Carl R. Dolmetsch was a professor of English at William & Mary starting in 1959, and chair of the Department of English from 1970-1976. His published work includes The Smart Set: A History and Anthology (NY: Dial Press, 1966) and Our Famous Guest: Mark Twain in Vienna (Athens: University of…
  • Carl Roseberg

    Carl Roseberg was an artist and art historian at William & Mary from the 1940s through the 1980s. Roseberg was born in Vinton, Iowa in 1916 and died on November 11, 1999 in Williamsburg, Virginia. He graduated from the University of Iowa and served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and the…
  • Carlo Bellini

    Carlo Bellini was Professor of Modern Languages at William & Mary from 1779-1803. Materials in the Special Collections Research Center Guide for conducting research related to the College of William & Mary The Flat Hat, William & Mary News, and Alumni Gazette: Carlo Bellini Circle:
  • Carroll Hardy

    Carroll Hardy, or "Dean Hardy" as she was affectionately called by students in the 1980s and 1990s, is credited with being a tireless advocate for diversity at W&M and improving the campus experience for students of color. Hardy joined W&M in 1980 as Associate Dean of Multicultural Affairs…
  • Charles F. Marsh

    Charles F. Marsh (Charles Franklin) became the seventh president of Wofford College on September 1, 1958 and served until his retirement in 1968. Prof.
  • Charles Koch

    Charles Koch was a faculty member of the Law School at William & Mary. Obituary Announcement From a Faculty and Staff Announcement Email from Provost Michael Halleran on February 21, 2012: "Dear William & Mary Community,
  • Charles Minnigerode

    Charles Frederick Ernest Minnigerode was imprisoned while a student at the University of Giessen in Germany because of his political activities. He emigrated to the United States in 1839 and was appointed Professor of Humanity at William & Mary in 1842. He taught through 1848. he was friendly…
  • Charles Washington Coleman (1862-1932)

    Charles Washington Coleman (1862-1932), librarian and poet, was born in Richmond, Virginia on November 22, 1862 to Cynthia Beverley Tucker Washington Coleman (1832-1908) and Dr. Charles W. Coleman (1826-1894).
  • Christopher J. MacGowan

    Christopher J. MacGowan is a professor of English at William & Mary, and chair of the Department of English from 2001-2006. In 2011, he received the College's Plumeri Award, and he has also received the "1994 Phi Beta Kappa award for his scholarship and teaching, the Margaret H. Hamilton…
  • Constance Applebee

    Constance M.K. Applebee was appointed an Instructor of Women's Athletics at William & Mary in 1925. She was also a visiting coach in 1944. Applebee is best known for introducing field hockey to the United States. Applebee is not specifically identified in the field hockey photographs in the…
  • David Clay Jenkins

    David Clay Jenkins was a Past Faculty member in the English Department at William & Mary. Obituary Announcement From a Faculty and Staff Announcement Email from Provost Michael Halleran on November 10, 2010: "Dear Friends:
  • Dean of the Faculty

    In 1905, the Dean of the Faculty was created with John Lesslie Hall, Professor of English and History from 1888-1928, as its first Dean from 1905-1920 and 1922-1928. At this time, William & Mary also had a Dean of the College that looked after the affairs of the faculty with Kremer J. Hoke,…
  • Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences

    The office of the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences at William & Mary "strives to meet the needs of individual departments and programs; promotes excellence across Arts and Sciences as a whole; and represents the priorities of Arts & Sciences to the larger university community and to…
  • Donald L. Ball

    Donald L. Ball was a Past Faculty member of the English Department at William & Mary. His appointments at the university: Instructor in English, 1960-1965; Assistant Professor of English, 1965-1969; Associate Professor of English, 1969-1976; Professor of English, 1976-1989; Professor of English…
  • Earl Gregg Swem (1870-1965)

    Earl Gregg Swem was College Librarian from 1920-1944 at William & Mary. Swem received an honorary degree (LL.D.) from the College in 1941.
  • Edwin Taliaferro (1835-1867)

    Biographical Sketch Edwin Taliaferro (1835-1867) was born April 15, 1835, the son of Warner Throckmorton Taliaferro (1802-1877) and Leah Seddon Taliaferro (1810-1895). He was the youngest of four children, and brother to Confederate General William Booth Taliaferro. He married Frances Bland…
  • Eilshemius, Louis M. (Louis Michel)

    Edwin Taliaferro (1835-1867) was born April 15, 1835, the son of Warner Throckmorton Taliaferro (1802-1877) and Leah Seddon Taliaferro (1810-1895). He was the youngest of four children, and brother to Confederate General William Booth Taliaferro. He married Frances Bland Beverley Tucker (1843-1913…
  • Elsa S. Diduk

    Elsa S. Diduk was chair of the Department of Modern Languages at William & Mary in the late 1970s. Diduk's appointments: Instructor in Modern Languages, 1966-1968; Assistant Professor of Modern Languages, 1968-1974; Associate Professor of Modern Languages, 1974-1978; Professor of Modern…
  • Emily Eleanor Calkins

    Emily Eleanor Calkins graduated from William & Mary in 1927. She also attended Columbia College in Florida, 1915-1917. She was a math instructor and professor at the William & Mary from 1927 to 1961. Her appointments: Instructor in Mathematics, 1927-1944; Assistant Professor of Mathematics…
  • Emmanuel Jones

    William & Mary, 1755 to 1777. In 1754 Jones was an usher of the college. He was appointed to hear boys recite a chapter in the Bible every school day at 12 o'clock. To receive a yearly salary of one pistole for each boy.

Want to find out more?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for other resources to help you find materials of interest.

Questions? Have ideas or updates for articles you'd like to see? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090.

A note about the contents of this site

This website contains the best available information from known sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information in this website is not complete, and it changes as we continue to research and uncover new sources.