Constance M.K. Applebee was appointed an Instructor of Women's Athletics at William & Mary in 1925. She was also a visiting coach in 1944. Applebee is best known for introducing field hockey to the United States. Applebee is not specifically identified in the field hockey photographs in the Colonial Echo yearbook from the time period (1923-1926 were checked). Applebee was inducted into the William & Mary Athletic Hall of Fame in 1982.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- Obituaries are available in Applebee's file in the University Archives Faculty-Alumni File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, William & Mary.
- Memorial service program, Memorial Services Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, William & Mary.
William & Mary Articles
Most issues of the Flat Hat are available online from Swem Library. Neither the Alumni Gazette nor the William & Mary News are available online at this time. Issues published in 2001 and forward are not indexed here.
- Noted sportswoman teaches women's Hockey Class Flat Hat, 11/17/1942, 7.
- Assists Coeds FH, 11/9/1943, 5.
- In sixth year as visiting coach FH, 11/29/1944, 5.
- Introduced field hockey to the U.S. Alumni Gazette, Feb. 1978, 4 (picture).
- Visited by women's field hockey team AG, April 1978, 11 (picture).
- Named to Hall of Fame AG, Dec. 1980, 4.
- Portrait Hung in Adair Gym AG, May 1982, 10 (picture).
- Receives Award of Merit, William & Mary News, 1/22/80, 3.
- Named to Athletic Hall of Fame, WMN, 12/2/80, 2.
- Dies, WMN, 2/3/81, 3.
- College recieves 'Apple' portrait, WMN, 4/13/82, 3.
- SCRC file.