Established in 1997, the Charles Joseph Duke, Jr., and Virginia Welton Duke Award is awarded annually to an outstanding employee of William & Mary or one contracted to provide auxiliary services to the University. The recipient is selected on a University-wide basis by a committee appointed by the University's president and is acknowledged at Commencement Ceremonies each May.
The award was endowed by Charles Bryan Duke and Ann Evans Duke (class of 1957) in memory of Charles (class of 1923) and Virginia Duke for their years of distinguished and loving service to the College.
Duke Award Recipients
1997 - Ruby DeCosta
1998 - Della Harris
1999 - Betty Sandy
2000 - Jewel Thomas
2001 - Shirley Aceto
2002 - Shelfer Peace
2003 - Ilona Wilkins
2004 - Barbara Cava
2005 - Matthew Trowbridge
2006 - Olive Hoilett
2007 - Ed Davis
2008 - Tom Meier
2009 - Bernard Bowman
2010 - Thomasine Lewis
2011 - Michael Blum
2012 - David H. Dudley, class of 1975
2013 - Ruth D. Hines
2014 - Ernest Russell
2015 - Diane Dudley
2017 - Renee L. Peace
2018 - Sheila Johnson
2019 - Sherrene Moore
2020 - Kathleen Morgan
2021 - Wendy Urbano, Manager of Academic & Degree Progress in the Office of the Registrar
2021 - Darlene White, Custodial Senior Worker with Facilities Management
2022 - Kathy L. O’Brien, Economics Department Fiscal Coordinator
2022 - Ray A. Burks, Student Unions & Engagement Set Crew Supervisor
- SCRC files.
In the News
- William & Mary News, 4/23/97, p. 1.
- Alumni Gazette, August 1997, p. 16.
- Cava receives Duke Award: She has processed more than 250,000 applications
- Trowbridge honored with 2005 Duke Award
- Hoilett to be awarded 2006 Duke Award
- Deputy police chief earns 2007 Duke Award
- Meier gets College's Duke Award
- Bowman Gets the Duke
- Next lane, please: Duke Award winner Thomasine Lewis retiring.