The Chemistry Building was a temporary building at William & Mary built in 1923. It was located approximately on the site of the present Washington Hall, which is situated along the Sunken Garden between Ewell Hall and McGlothlin-Street Hall.
In 1923, recommendations were made to construct a temporary building for an additional class rooms, to be placed in the rear of the Citizenship Building so as to connect cheaply with existing steam pipes. Features included a large lecture room (seating for 200), separate laboratories for quantitative, qualitative, organic, physical/advanced/organic and freshman chemistry and one for minerology/chemical microscopy. A large stock room and skylights were also part of the building. The Chemistry Building was part of President J.A.C. Chandler's plans to upgrade the College's science facilities. A temporary shed was used until the Chemistry building was complete.
This building was torn down in November 1927. (Flat Hat 18 November 1927, p. 5)
- Pl979.584, University Archives Photograph Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, William & Mary.