The Co-ed Lodge on Lake Matoaka at William & Mary was organized in 1926 when women students petitioned for permission to erect a lodge on the shore of Lake Matoaka. It called for a cabin of rustic design and furnishings with accommodations for 20 girls, a large living room with an open fireplace, sleeping quarters, and a kitchen to be opened in September 1926. It was to be constructed of Cypress logs with a kitchen built on the back and around a living room would be a large balcony where cots would be provided for sleeping quarters. The plans for construction were delayed due to questions of land. The title was then cleared and construction began after December 1926.