Skip to main content
Main Content

The College Airport was located 1 mile northwest of William & Mary at Ewell Station, part of the city airport near the present day Airport Road.


1931--hangar built and used for student instruction as part of the Department of Aeronautics

1934--student instruction ended at the airport

1944--56 acres taken by U.S. Government for construction of Waller Reservoir (Board of Visitors, Oct. 7, 1944, p. 383) (Scott Field)

1945--Board of Visitors, February 10, p. 401)

Black and white aerial photo of the airport with two hangars and several small planes
College Airport
Constructed: 1931
Ceded by the College: 1944
Closed: 1967
Map it for me

1946--Combination office, waiting room, and work shop being erected at College Airport to be rented to Aviation Service, Inc., Aviation Services, Inc., moved last weekend to College Airport, approximately 1 mile beyond Scott Field, former headquarters. New airport has two runways, each 2800 feet long, 150 feet wide, set in an "x" pattern. Longer and smoother than runways at Scott Field. At present 3 hangars of the "T" type at College Airport, construction begun on administrative building and hangar for Aviation Services with hangar space almost as large as that at Scott Field (The Flat Hat, 10/15/1946, 1).

1954--hangar previously used as National Guard armory (FH, 10/26/1954, 1) (Board of Visitors, Feb. 11, 1956, p. 230--233)

1955--rented to Floyd G. Clark of Richmond for commercial airport (The Flat Hat, 1/11/1955, 2)

1967--College Airport closed; poor condition (The Flat Hat, 2/24/1967, 11)

Black and white photo of one of the college's prop planes
College Airplanes

1980--30 acres sold to City of Williamsburg (Board of Visitors October 17-18, p. 355)

1985--Airport property sold to City of Williamsburg for $1,267,000 (William & Mary News, 9/18/1985, 1

Material in the SCRC


Want to find out more?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for other resources to help you find materials of interest.

Questions? Have ideas or updates for articles you'd like to see? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at or 757-221-3090.

A note about the contents of this site

This website contains the best available information from known sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information in this website is not complete, and it changes as we continue to research and uncover new sources.