William & Mary participated in the National College Bowl, a quiz show that tested both general knowledge and quick reasoning skills. The show was taped at the CBS Studio in New York City. William & Mary took part in two nationally televised tournaments in 1960 and 1966. William & Mary faced Purdue University on January 24, 1960 and lost by a score of 240 to 50. In December 1966, William & Mary faced Columbia University and lost by a score of 330 to 60.1
Members of the Quiz Bowl team from 1960 include:
- First Team: Tom Lipscomb, Vida Carmen Kenk, Michael A. Glass, and Rex Adelberger
- Alternates: Sandy McNair and John Renick
- "GE College Bowl TV Show History," http://www.collegebowl.com/gecollegebowlresultrpt.asp, 28 July 2009.
- "William & Mary to Make Television Debut," Flat Hat, January 12, 1960, pg. 1.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- Flat Hat, November 24, 1959, pg. 1
- Flat Hat, December 1, 1959, pg. 12
- Flat Hat, December 8, 1959, pg. 11
- Flat Hat, January 12, 1960, pg. 1