The Dean of Women was established in 1918, when William & Mary admitted its first female students. Dr. Caroline F. Tupper was William & Mary's first Dean of Women. The position ended in 1973 when the Dean of Women and the Dean of Men positions came under one heading as the Dean of Students.
Chronological List of the Deans of Women
- Caroline Francis Tupper 1918-1919
- Bessie Porter Taylor 1919-1925 (Social Director of Women)
- Anne Marion Powell 1925-1927
- Grace Warren Landrum 1927-1947
- Katherine R. Jeffers 1947-1952
- Dorothea Wyatt 1952-1956
- Birdena E. Donaldson 1956-1973
- Dean of Women in the blog Mary Comes to the College with William.