The Graduate House was located at 234 Jamestown Road. The house was demolished on May 20-21, 2013.
The four bedroom, 3 bath house was built in 1913. On July 15, 1932, William & Mary acquired the house by a purchase and exchange of $7,875 plus College Terrace lots 36 and 37, then valued at $2,125.
Other names for the Graduate House were the Secretary's House (when it provided housing for single women employed by the College), the Italian House (as part of the Language Residence Houses), and Sigma Nu House (a fraternity).
It became the Graduate House in 2000, after the Office of the Dean of Research and Graduate Studies moved in. It also housed the Ombudsperson Office for Arts and Science and the campus office for VIMS.
In the 1960's, women faculty living in the house included Millie Barrett West, Rosemary MacLellan, Joann Slaughter, Herta Anna Knoll, Marguerite Ann Stuart, Anne S. Tyler, Dorothy W. Dyer, Liliane Krebs, Lestine Rebecca Johnston, Marie E. Strohhofer, and Elaine Alper.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- College Directory Collection
- Property Inventory Control Program
- City of Williamsburg Property Tax Records