The Greenhouse at William & Mary was located north of the Wren Building and west of the President's House garage. It was built in the early 1900s and was 15' x 24' in size with a glass roof.
In 1908, the Board of Visitors appropriated funds for improvements "for Greenhouse for Prof. Ritchie 750.00." (Board of Visitors meeting minutes, June 1908 p. 171) The Greenhouse was mentioned in President Lyon G. Tyler's report to the Board of Visitors in February 1909. (Board of Visitors meeting minutes, February 1909, p. 181).
The Greenhouse can be seen on a map of campus dated April 15, 1930, produced by the South-Eastern Underwriters Association in the Special Collections Research Center.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- University Archives Photograph Collection:
- P1985.61, circa 1915
- P1989.259 (scan #B3245A4)
- University Archives Buildings File (2007), Greenhouse, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William & Mary.