Skip to main content
Main Content
Black and white photo of Coleman Kimbrough standing in front of a tree and wearing white dresses
Janet Kimbrough (left) and Alice Person, 1919 (Special Collections Resource Center, University Archives Photograph Collection)


Dr. Janet Coleman Kimbrough was born in Minnesota on February 21, 1902, the daughter of Mary Haldane Begg Coleman (1875-1967) and George Preston Coleman,1 mayor of Williamsburg. George P. Coleman was a direct descendant of St. George Tucker of Williamsburg, Virginia. She was also the granddaughter of Cynthia Beverley Tucker Washington Coleman. She married Raymond Kimbrough (1899-1993) in 1929 (divorced 1949)2; they had two children, Raymond D. Kimbrough, Jr. (1930-2009) and Cynthia Barlowe (1934-2005).

Coleman and her daughter next to a cannon in front of the Wren Building
Janet Kimbrough with her granddaughter Doris Kimbrough (Special Collections Resource Center, Faculty Alumni File)

Dr. Kimbrough was a member of the first class of women at the College of William & Mary, entering in 1918 and graduating in 1921; she was also one of the first women inducted into Phi Beta Kappa, Alpha Chapter. She graduated from the University of Virginia School of Medicine in the 1920s. After her marriage was "dissolved and with two children to support, she took a job at Fort Lee, and then at Fort Eustis, doctoring all sorts of military persons."3

Material in the Special Collections Research Center



In the News





  1. Ron Stewart, U. S. Find A Grave Index 1600s-Current, "Janet Haldane Coleman Kimbrough " (1902-1992), Memorial #35699507 , record added April 9, 2009, accessed through December 18, 2008,
  2. Virginia, Divorce Records, 1918-2014 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Operations, Inc., 2015.
  3. Cynthia Skove, "APVA A Part Of Life For Dr. Kimbrough", Daily Press, Newport News, Virginia, January 21, 1979.


Want to find out more?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for other resources to help you find materials of interest.

Questions? Have ideas or updates for articles you'd like to see? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at or 757-221-3090.

A note about the contents of this site

This website contains the best available information from known sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information in this website is not complete, and it changes as we continue to research and uncover new sources.