Skip to main content
Main Content
Two story white house with covered entrance and side porch
Moncure House
Constructed: ca. 1898
Purchased by the College: 1926
Named for: Blanche E. Moncure
Renovations: 1927
Map it for me

Location: 195 Armistead Avenue at the corner of Richmond Road

  • probably built c.1898
  • Cottage-151-153 Richmond Road
  • House - 155 Richmond Road
  • House - 195 Armistead Road

c.1901--Moncure House, 2 story frame with turret on S.W. Corner, on site of present Kappa Alpha Omega House, Lot #7 (Blitzer) (Colonial Echo, 1902, p. 163)

  • Moncure Cottage (153 Richmond Road) 2 story frame with double porch, Lot #6, 27' x 60' (Colonial Echo, 1902, p. 163)

1926--Moncure property purchased (BofV, November 1926, p.149)

  • Purchased from Blanche E. Moncure for $10.00, August 26,1926(1983.70 under Razing of Houses)

1927--Moncure House on corner, Richmond Road, to be renovated and rented to Chi Omega (1927-1929).

  • Moncure Cottage next door to be remodeled into 2-family apartment for faculty (Straw Hat, 8/4/1927, 1).

1929-30--House rented to Delta Delta Delta (1929-1931)(JAC Chandler to Pauline Shewmake, May 29, 1929, 1982.45 under Students-Fraternities and Sororities)

1931--Moncure House destroyed by fire Feb. 10,1931 (FH, 2/13/1931,p1)

  • to be rebuilt (FH, 3/20/1931, p 1)

1932--present Kappa Alpha Omega House (Blitzer House) built on site of Moncure House (155 Richmond Road) at a cost of $30,000 (BofV, December 1932, p. 37)

1974--1975 Armistead Avenue (built c. 1926) purchased. Four bedroom house and an adjoining apartment, to be renovated for student housing (BofV, May 1974, p. 237; Nov. 1974, p. 319; April 1975,p. 397)

1977--Cottage used for law school and legal services

1983-1984/1985-1986--Sigma Nu House, 195 Armistead Avenue (FH, 1/21/1983, 3; FH, 9/12/1986, 3)

1987-1988--International Studies House, 195 Armistead Avenue (WMN, 8/26/1987, 1)

2013 - Housing for Upper Classmen


  • 1902-Colonial Echo, p. 163
  • 1913-Colonial Echo, p. 59


  • University Archives Buildings File (2007), Moncure House, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William & Mary.


Want to find out more?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for other resources to help you find materials of interest.

Questions? Have ideas or updates for articles you'd like to see? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at or 757-221-3090.

A note about the contents of this site

This website contains the best available information from known sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information in this website is not complete, and it changes as we continue to research and uncover new sources.