The Norfolk Division of William & Mary was established in 1930. Its name was changed in 1960 to Norfolk College of William & Mary. The institution became independent from the College of William & Mary in 1962 and the name was changed at that time to Old Dominion College. In 1969 the institution's name was changed to the current Old Dominion University.
William & Mary Technical Institute
The Technical Institute of The Norfolk College of William & Mary was a division established in 1945. It was the outgrowth of the vocational training programs first begun in 1939 to train technicians for the Naval Air Station in Aircraft Instruments. It quickly expanded into the Defense Training courses and then into the War Training courses and was one of the largest and most successful programs on the East Coast.
Programs offered under the Technical Institute were post-high school, high-level, technical training courses. It ran two-year technical training programs in the fields of Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Technology, Architectural Drafting Technology, General Drafting Technology and Electronics Technology.
No college credits were given; students earned certificates or a technician's degree of Associate in Applied Science. The graduates of two-year courses were given the Technical Institute Diploma.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
as author in SCRC Collections Database. Users should also conduct keyword searches for "Norfolk Division."
- The Norfolk College of William & Mary of the Colleges of William & Mary Technical Institute, Catalogue 1961.
- The Norfolk College of William & Mary of The Colleges of William & Mary, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, William & Mary (UA 86); Goals Purposes Scope, September 1961.