The Plumeri House at William & Mary is located at 119 Chandler Court. The 2 story frame house was formerly known as the Swem House as it once belonged to College Librarian Earl Gregg Swem. William & Mary purchased the house from Swem on February 8, 1963, for $26,000. (Board of Visitors, May 11, 1963, p.23; Consolidated Land Register; Deed Book 34, p.425)
Earl Gregg Swem nicknamed his home "Spadehaven". Swem House served as faculty housing for the Kenan Professor from 1963 to ___.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- SCRC Collections Database: search by names, organization, subject, event, etc.
- Search the W&M Digital Archive for additional material.
- Alumni Gazette and Alumni Magazine
- University Archives Buildings File (2007), Swem House Building, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William & Mary.
- Board of Visitors, May 11, 1963, p.23
- Consolidated Land Register; Deed Book 34, p.425
- Plumeri House on the William & Mary website.