The Richmond School of Social Work and Public Health of the was established in 1917. In 1925 it became the Richmond Division of the College of William & Mary. In 1939 the division was known as the Richmond Professional Institute.
It separated from William & Mary and came under state control in 1962. The Medical College of Virginia and the Richmond Professional Institute merged in 1968 to form Virginia Commonwealth University.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- Search "Richmond Professional Institute".
- Search the Manuscripts & Archives Collection Guides for the records of various College of William & Mary administrative offices including the Board of Visitors, Office of the Presidents, Deans, etc.
- Many serial publications published as part of William & Mary's Bulletin Series, including RPI's catalogs, announcements, etc. have been cataloged and are searchable in Swem Library's online catalog.
- Theses written by students in the social work program can be found by searching the Swem Library catalog by call number LD6051.W5m Soc. Wk. (which will be followed by [year], [item number]).
- VCU Libraries RPI Student Newspapers collection from Virginia Commonwealth University. The collection contains issues of The Atlas (1929-1939), the student newspaper of the Richmond School of Social Work and Public Health, a division of the College of William & Mary, and Proscript (1939-1969), the student newspaper of the Richmond Professional Institute
- VCU Libraries Special Collections and Archives
- VCU Libraries History of Richmond Professional Institute