Skip to main content
Main Content

The Tappahannock Extension Division was one of several extensions of William & Mary in the 20th century.

In the late 1920s-1930, extension courses were offered in eleven different communities by William & Mary with the highest numbers of students in Norfolk, Richmond, Newport News and Hampton. Extension enrollments offered by the College reached a peak of 1,980 during the 1931-1932 session. In that year, 1,682 students were enrolled at the College in Williamsburg. (Godson, et. al, p. 574)

The 1932-1933 catalog lists a few professors, 23 students and this brief paragraph: "The Tappahannock extension division of the College has given a regular freshman course this year. Classes have met three days a week, beginning at 9:00 A.M."

The 1933-1934 catalog lists 29 students and the professors teaching English, History, Math, Biology, Government, French and this paragraph: "The Tappahannock extension division of the College has given regular freshman and sophomore courses this year. Classes have met four days a week, beginning at 9:00 A.M."

The 1934-1935 catalog lists 12 students and the professors teaching English, Math, Biology and French.

In the description of Extension classes it states courses are usually taught in public school buildings except Norfolk and Richmond where the college had its own buildings.

No reference to Tappahannock appears in catalogs after 1935.

References

  • 1932-1933 catalog on page 274, 1933-1934 catalog on page 257-258, and 1934-1935 catalog on page 222.
  • The College of William & Mary : a history Godson, Susan H. Godson, Ludwell H. Johnson, Richard B. Sherman, Thad W. Tate, Helen C. Walker, Williamsburg, Va. : King and Queen Press, Society of the Alumni, College of William & Mary in Virginia, 1993. Copies are available in the SCRC and Swem Library's stacks and Virginia Reference sections. LD6051 .W52 C65 1993

 

Want to find out more?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for other resources to help you find materials of interest.

Questions? Have ideas or updates for articles you'd like to see? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090.

A note about the contents of this site

This website contains the best available information from known sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information in this website is not complete, and it changes as we continue to research and uncover new sources.