The Thomas Ashley Graves, Jr. Award for Sustained Excellence in Teaching is presented annually to the William & Mary professor that displays a strong commitment to the education of students and service to William & Mary. The award is named after Thomas Ashley Graves, Jr., the 23rd president of William & Mary. It is endowed by alumni and friends of the former president. The recipient of the award is chosen by the president of the College from nominations submitted by each of the academic deans.
Thomas Ashley Graves, Jr. Award for Sustained Excellence in Teaching Recipients
2008 - Deborah D. Morse, Professor (Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Department of English)
2009 - Thomas L. Heacox, Associate Professor (Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Department of English
2010 - Kathleen Slevin, Professor(Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Department of Sociology)
2011 - John Philip Kearns, Associate Professor (Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Department of Computer Science)
2011 - Lawrence King, Chancellor and EMBA Alumni Professor of Business (School of Business)
2012 - Nancy L. Gray, Associate Professor of English and Women's Studies
2013 - Lawrence Leemis, Mathematics professor and School of Education's Megan Tschannen-Moran
2014 - Elizabeth Canuel, Virginia Institute of Marine Science and School of Education's John Noell Moore
2015 - Jonathan F. Arries, Associate Professor of Hispanic Studies and William T. Geary, Associate Professor of Accounting
2016 - Philip H. Daileader, Associate Professor of History and John E. Graves, Chancellor Professor of Marine Science
2017 - Beverly T. Sher, Senior Lecturer and Chief Health Professional Advisor and Elizabeth L. Barnes Professor of English and American Studies
2018 - Randolph A. Coleman, Professor of Chemistry and Paul Marcus, Haynes Professor of Law
2019 - Susan Donaldson, Professor of English and American Studies and Lynda L. Butler, Chancellor Professor of Law
2020 - Lizabeth Allison, Chancellor Professor of Biology, and Christopher R. Gareis, Professor of Educational Planning, Policy & Leadership in the School of Education
2021 - Robert J. Latour, Professor of Fisheries Science and Judith B. Harris, Professor and Pavey Family Chair in Educational Technology
2022 - Eric A. Kades, Thomas Jefferson Professor of Law and Qian Su, Senior Lecturer of Chinese Studies
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
References in the The Flat Hat, William & Mary News, and Alumni Gazette:
- First award given to Lewis W. Leadbeater AG, June 1986, pg. 1, 17.
- Awarded to John F. Lavach WMN 5/20/1987, pg. 1, 3 (picture).
- Awarded to John Lavach AG, June 1987, pg. 1, 11 (picture).
- John E. Donaldson is recipient of Graves Award WMN, 5/19/1988, pg. 8.
- Ludwell Johnson wins Graves Award WMN, 5/20/1992, pg. 6 (picture).
- David L. Holmes, Jr. wins Graves award WMN, 5/19/1993, pg. 5.
- David L. Holmes receives award AG, May/June 1993, pg. 2 (picture).
- Awarded to Carl Carlson WMN, 5/19/1994, pg. 5, 6 (picture).
- Law school graduation features variety of award presentations WMN, 5/19/1994, pg. 9.
- Awarded to Carl E. Carlson AG, June 1994, pg. 1, 5 (picture).
- Elsa Nettels receives award WMN, 5/16/1996, pg. 5 (picture).
- James Smith receives award WMN, 5/27/1999, pg. 7 (picture).