The Thomas Ashley Graves, Jr. Award for Sustained Excellence in Teaching is presented annually to the William & Mary professor who displays a strong commitment to the education of students and service to William & Mary. The award is named after Thomas Ashley Graves, Jr., the 23rd president of William & Mary. It is endowed by alumni and friends of the former president. The recipient of the award is chosen by the president of the College from nominations submitted by each of the academic deans.
Thomas Ashley Graves, Jr. Award for Sustained Excellence in Teaching Recipients
2008 - Deborah D. Morse, Professor (Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Department of English)
2009 - Thomas L. Heacox, Associate Professor (Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Department of English)
2010 - Kathleen Slevin, Professor (Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Department of Sociology)
2011 - John Philip Kearns, Associate Professor (Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Department of Computer Science)
2011 - Lawrence King, Chancellor and EMBA Alumni Professor (Business, School of Business)
2012 - Nancy L. Gray, Associate Professor (Faculty of Arts and Sciences, English and Women's Studies
2013 - Lawrence Leemis, Professor (Faculty of Arts and Sciences) Mathematics and Megan Tschannen-Moran (School of Education)
2014 - Elizabeth Canuel (Virginia Institute of Marine Science) and John Noell Moore (School of Education)
2015 - Jonathan F. Arries, Associate Professor (Hispanic Studies) and William T. Geary, Associate Professor (Accounting)
2016 - Philip H. Daileader, Associate Professor (History) and John E. Graves, Chancellor Professor (Marine Science)
2017 - Beverly T. Sher, Senior Lecturer and Chief Health Professional Advisor and Elizabeth L. Barnes, Professor (English and American Studies)
2018 - Randolph A. Coleman, Professor (Chemistry) and Paul Marcus, Haynes Professor (Law)
2019 - Susan Donaldson, Professor (English and American Studies) and Lynda L. Butler, Chancellor Professor (Law)
2020 - Lizabeth Allison, Chancellor Professor (Biology) and Christopher R. Gareis, Professor of Educational Planning, Policy & Leadership (School of Education)
2021 - Robert J. Latour, Professor (Fisheries Science) and Judith B. Harris, Professor and Pavey Family Chair (Educational Technology)
2022 - Eric A. Kades, Thomas Jefferson Professor (Law) and Qian Su, Senior Lecturer (Chinese Studies)
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
References in the The Flat Hat, William & Mary News, and Alumni Gazette:
- First award given to Lewis W. Leadbeater AG, June 1986, pg. 1, 17.
- Awarded to John F. Lavach WMN 5/20/1987, pg. 1, 3 (picture).
- Awarded to John Lavach AG, June 1987, pg. 1, 11 (picture).
- John E. Donaldson is recipient of Graves Award WMN, 5/19/1988, pg. 8.
- Ludwell Johnson wins Graves Award WMN, 5/20/1992, pg. 6 (picture).
- David L. Holmes, Jr. wins Graves award WMN, 5/19/1993, pg. 5.
- David L. Holmes receives award AG, May/June 1993, pg. 2 (picture).
- Awarded to Carl Carlson WMN, 5/19/1994, pg. 5, 6 (picture).
- Law school graduation features variety of award presentations WMN, 5/19/1994, pg. 9.
- Awarded to Carl E. Carlson AG, June 1994, pg. 1, 5 (picture).
- Elsa Nettels receives award WMN, 5/16/1996, pg. 5 (picture).
- James Smith receives award WMN, 5/27/1999, pg. 7 (picture).