Barrett Hall, 313 Jamestown Road, is located at the eastern intersection of Jamestown Road and Landrum Drive (formerly Old Campus Drive) at William & Mary. Named for Kate Waller Barrett, a member of the Board of Visitors from 1921-1925, it was the first building on campus named for a woman. Barrett Hall was used as a dormitory for women until becoming co-ed at the start of the 2005-2006 academic year.
Construction on Barrett Hall began in 1926 and ended in 1927, with an estimated cost of $212,000. The College contracted with J.T. Nuckols of Richmond, Virginia to carry out the designs of College Architect, Charles M. Robinson.
The building's layout in 1927: 12 bedrooms on first floor, 72 bedrooms on second and third floors, Parlor No. 1, first floor, east wing--17' x 30'; parlor No. 2, first floor, west wind, 17' x 30'; Literary Society Hall No. 1, first floor, east wing, 17' x 48'; YWCA and Student Government Room, first floor, west wing, 17' x 48'; student council office, first floor, west wing 17' x 17', reception room for guests, first floor, east side, 14' x 17'; 3 visitors' guest rooms, first floor 17' x 11'. Estimated cost, $212,000.
1928--J. Lesslie Hall Literary Society to have meeting room, 1927/28 (Flat Hat, 1/14/1927, 7).
1932--YWCA opens modern library in Y room, books rented for 3 cents per day (Flat Hat, 2/27/1931, 3).
1945--Chinese Room opened in west living room, presented by Mrs. Alice Aberdeen, displaying Chinese Art Objects (Flat Hat, 2/21/1945, 7).
March 1956--Chinese Room (Flat Hat)
September 1956--Chinese Room (Flat Hat)
1966--Brick wall surrounding entrance on corner Campus Drive and Jamestown Road torn down during Christmas recess (Flat Hat, 1/13/1967, 6).
1969--Chinese Room partitioned to ease housing overflow (Flat Hat, 9/12/1969, 3).
Various photographs in the University Archives Photograph Collection
1928--Colonial Echo, p. 20
1931--Colonial Echo, p. 17
1955--Colonial Echo, p. 233 (Chinese Room)
1972--Renovation, summer (Board of Visitors, Sept. 22-23, p. 400).
- The Flat Hat
- "Buildings and Grounds--Barrett Hall," University Archives Subject File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William & Mary.
- Board of Visitors Records, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William & Mary.