Kate Waller Barrett was a member of the William & Mary Board of Visitors in 1921-1925. She was the second woman to be a member of the Board of Visitors. She was a prominent figure in Virginia political and social circles and a number of buildings across Virginia were named in her honor. She was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. Barrett's portrait, housed in the Muscarelle Museum, was painted by Eugenie Deland Sangstad from a photograph after Barrett's death in 1925. Barrett Hall at William & Mary was named for her. The iron gates from the Capitol Building in Richmond, erected in front of Jefferson Hall facing Jamestown Road and now functioning as a fence, were given by the D.A.R. as a memorial to Barrett and were dedicated on April 30, 1926.(The Flat Hat, p. 5The Flat Hat, p. 4)
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- Kate Waller Barrett Folder, University Archives Faculty Alumni File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, William & Mary.
- University Archives Photograph Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, William & Mary.