Skip to main content
Main Content

College Camp was a term used to describe the camp set up by the Virginia militia during the American Revolution from 1775-1781. It was located to the west of the Wren Building around what is today the Sunken Garden. A bronze plaque recognizing the College Camp is currently located on one of the brick columns by the steps at the head of the Sunken Garden. It was dedicated at Homecoming in 1976 and was given by the class of 1976 and the Society of the Alumni.

Background on College Camp

In September 1775, Colonel Patrick Henry came to Williamsburg, Virginia to set up a camp for the 5th Regiment of the Virginia Line behind the College, and they continued to be stationed there until September 1776 when they were replaced by the 7th Regiment. Other units stayed at the College Camp from 1775-1781. During this period, several units left the camp to join George Washington's army in the North. Troops also camped at College Camp before the Battle of Yorktown in 1781.

Text of Plaque

"On this site in September 1775 Colonel Patrick Henry established camp grounds for Virginia troops who were to rendezvous and train at Williamsburg. Several Virginia regiments left here in 1776 and 1777 to join General George Washington's army in the North In 1777 students formed a College company with the president, Rev. James Madison, as captain. Troops camped here before the Battle of Yorktown in 1781. Presented by the Society of the Alumni, 1976."

Virginia Gazette

There are several mentions of the College Camp in the Virginia Gazette from the following issues:

  • September 22, 1775
  • September 29, 1775
  • October 13, 1775
  • November 10, 1775
  • July 19, 1776
  • August 10, 1776
  • September 7, 1776
  • September 20, 1776
  • September 27, 1776
  • January 24, 1777
  • April 4, 1777
  • August 22, 1777

Material in the Special Collections Research Center


  • College Camp, Series 5, Box 1, Folder 3, Alumni Association Records, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, William & Mary.


Want to find out more?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for other resources to help you find materials of interest.

Questions? Have ideas or updates for articles you'd like to see? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at or 757-221-3090.

A note about the contents of this site

This website contains the best available information from known sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information in this website is not complete, and it changes as we continue to research and uncover new sources.