In 1697, William & Mary President Rev. James Blair signed an agreement with the executors of the estate of the famous English scientist Robert Boyle, who bequeathed 5,400 pounds of his estate for "pious and charitable uses." The executors agreed to invest Boyle's money in a Yorkshire manor named Brafferton and to use its rents to pay William & Mary an annual sum of 90 pounds to support an Indian School. The building eventually constructed was named The Brafferton to mark the connection.
The Endowment Association was founded in 1939. The Association changed its name to The College of William & Mary Foundation on July 1, 2006.
Office of University Development
The Office of University Development manages fundraising campaigns for William & Mary. It was formerly known as the Office of University Advancement.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- "So well endowed" : economic support of the College of William & Mary during the colonial period, Kristin A. Zech, Honors Thesis, LD6051 .W5m Hist., 2001, Z42 (does not circulate and is not available for interlibrary loan; contact the Special Collections Research Center for assistance).
- "So good a work" : the Brafferton school, 1691-1777, Karen A. Stuart, MA Thesis, 1984. Swem stacks, Archives book collections: LD6051 .W5m Hist., 1984, S78 (available for interlibrary loan requests).
- Indian School, University Archives Subject File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William & Mary.
- Brafferton Estate Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William & Mary.
- The College of William & Mary : a history, Susan H. Godson, et al, Williamsburg, Va. : King and Queen Press, Society of the Alumni, College of William & Mary in Virginia, c1993. Reference collection, Swem stacks, Archives books: Call number: LD6051 .W52 C65 1993