John Millington was appointed a professor at William & Mary in 1836. Millington Hall at the College of William & Mary is named in his honor.
He was born 11 May 1779 near London. Licensed as an attorney in England, he later turned to engineering. Professor of Royal Institution. In 1829, he moved to Mexico as an engineer with Anglo-Mexican Mining Association. He moved to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1832. he was Professor of Chemistry and Natural Philosophy at William & Mary in 1836-1848. He took the degree of doctor of medicine at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia. He was Professor of Chemistry and Natural Science at the University of Mississippi and Professor at the Memphis (Tenn.) Medical College. He died in 1868.
His son was Thomas Millington who created well known drawings of the Brafferton, Wren Building, and President's House circa 1840s-1850, the multiple versions of which are known as the Millington print. The various versions of the Millington print were based upon a wash drawing.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- John Millington in the SCRC Collections Database.
- John Millington, Civil Engineer and Teacher, 1779-1868, Lavonne O. Tarleton.
- SCRC File.