The first tennis courts at William & Mary were located behind the Wren Building. The newspaper for students College Topics (1908-1909) includes references to the desire and need for tennis courts from students and faculty in issues published in fall 1908. As William & Mary's athletic fields migrated further from the Wren Building as the campus expanded, tennis courts for men were later moved to Richmond Road (near Blow Gym and Cary Field) with additional tennis courts also available at Barksdale Field (then known as the women's athletic fields). Improvements to and expansion of tennis courts from the 1920s through the 1950s can be followed in the Flat Hat student newspaper.
After the construction of Adair Hall was completed and as other buildings were constructed abutting Barksdale Field in the 1960s, tennis courts were constructed next to Adair on the site of the present day parking garage and police station. Tennis courts were also built behind William & Mary Hall and tennis matches have been held at William & Mary Hall in the past for special events such as the Wightman Cup. The Busch Courts made their debut in 2001. The McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center indoor facility is also available at the university and tennis courts are located next to the Commons.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- The Flat Hat
- The Colonial Echo
- Department of Athletics Records, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, William & Mary.
- Search for references to tennis in the SCRC Collections Database.