The Chapman House was located at 422 West Francis Street at the corner of South Boundary St. The two-story frame house was known to have been standing by 1861. In 1932, it was used as the Sigma Alpha Epsilon House and was owned by Anne T. Chapman. The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation purchased the house in June 1954.
In 1955, William & Mary began leasing the property on a year-to-year basis. Chapman Hall opened in 1955 as a student center with 3 lounges on the first floor and a girls' lounge, a meeting room, a public telephone room, and two offices on the second floor. The back living room on the first floor was used for TV, games, drink machines, and a record player. In 1959, Ted Hunnicut began broadcasting an experimental radio station from the cellar, the forerunner of WCWM. The Chapman House also served as the temporary Student Union building from 1955-1960. The building was demolished in 1960.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- Guide for conducting research related to the College of William & Mary
- The Flat Hat, 5/3/1955, p. 1
- Anne Chapman Papers, 65 C37, Box 13