Skip to main content
Main Content
Black and white of James Blair hall, a three story brick building with wings on both sides
Marshall-Wythe Hall, circa 1936
Constructed: 1934-1935
Opened: 1935 as Marshall-Wythe Hall
Renamed James Blair Hall: 1968
Map it for me
Note: Location on map is approximate.

James Blair Hall, formerly named Marshall-Wythe Hall, is located on the west end of the Sunken Garden, at 250 James Blair Drive at William & Mary. It is across the Sunken Garden from McGlothlin-Street Hall and next to Tyler Hall. The Tyler Family Garden is on one side and a statue of William & Mary's first president, the Rev. James Blair, is on the other.

Construction was contracted to T.A. Loving for $175,250 with a Public Works Administration grant. Built between 1934-1935, it was intended to house the Marshall-Wythe School of Government and Citizenship. The first floor was designed to hold administrative offices (for the President, Deans, Bursar, Business Manager, registrar and treasurer; also a large business office, conference room, two file rooms, rest rooms, record room, and two reception rooms). The second floor had 8 classrooms and 7 offices for faculty members, with similar plans for the third floor. The Administrative Offices moved into the building on July 1, 1935. The interior woodwork is American Walnut.

In 1936, the second and third floors were occupied by the departments of Economics, Government, History, Sociology, and the School of Jurisprudence. A dedication ceremony for the building was held in April 1937. In 1943, the Navy Chaplain's School on campus during World War II was located on the second floor. In 1959, a new phone system was installed for the campus and the equipment for the system was kept in the basement of the building. In 1962, the President's and Admissions offices moved to Ewell Hall.

In 1968, the building was renamed James Blair Hall, after the Law School moved into the old library building, known today as Tucker Hall.

It currently (2010) houses the Philosophy and History departments as well as some administrative offices.

Want to find out more?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for other resources to help you find materials of interest.

Questions? Have ideas or updates for articles you'd like to see? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at or 757-221-3090.

A note about the contents of this site

This website contains the best available information from known sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information in this website is not complete, and it changes as we continue to research and uncover new sources.