The first Business courses taught at William & Mary were given during the 1919-1920 academic year. By 1930, the number of students enrolled in business classes totaled 556. In 1941, John Stewart Bryan announced the creation of a new business administration department. Previously, business classes were taught within the department of Economics. This new school allowed students to concentrate in different aspects of business including general business, foreign trade, insurance, marketing, personnel administration, statistics, government, business and law, banking and finance.
The School of Business moved into the Alan B. Miller Hall in June-July 2009. Business previously used portions of Blow Hall, Tyler Hall, Jones Hall, the Old Gymnasium, as well as other buildings over the years.
Accounting was first taught at William & Mary in the Spring of 1920. Among the first lecturers in accounting were Frederick Juchhoff, Professor of Economics and Accountancy from 1919-1922, A.M. Pullen, lecturer in Accountancy from 1919-1920, and A. Lee Rawlings, lecturer in Accountancy from 1919-1920.
Materials in the Special Collections Research Center
- 1919/1920, College of William & Mary Course Offerings Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, William & Mary.
- William & Mary Catalog, 1919-1920, pg. 12, 117, 121.
- "Enrollment Rises in Business School," The Flat Hat, 26 September 1930, p. 1.
- "College Plans New School of Business Administration," The Flat Hat, 14 January 1941, p. 1.