Skip to main content
Main Content
  1. Mae Graham

    Mae Graham was an Assistant Professor from 1936-1942 and an Associate Professor from 1942-1946 in the Library Science program at William & Mary. She was a member of the American Library…
  2. Margaret Thatcher

    Margaret, The Lady Thatcher, is the former Prime Minister of Great Britain serving from 1979 until 1990. Before holding that office, she served as Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Pensions…
  3. Marguerite Davis

    Marguerite Davis was the wife of Governor Westmoreland Davis. She was well known for her charity work, which included treating victims of an influenza epidemic during World War I. Davis' portrait…
  4. Marilyn Kaemmerle

    Marilyn Kaemmerle, class of 1945, was a student at William & Mary from Jackson, Michigan. Kaemmerle was editor of The Flat Hat in 1945 when her editorial on race relations, "Lincoln's Job Half-…
  5. Marischal Mace

    The Marischal Mace is carried by a representative of the Graduate Council at all official William & Mary convocations. A gift from the University of Aberdeen in honor of the College of William…
  6. Marshall-Wythe School of Law

    The Marshall-Wythe School of Law is located east of campus beside the National Center for State Courts at 613 South Henry Street. It was located in the Old Gymnasium from 1922 to 1931, in James Blair…
  7. Martha Barksdale (1899-1974)

    Martha Elizabeth Barksdale (class of 1921 [see 1921 Commencement Program], M.A. 1929), a native of Redlands, Virginia, entered William & Mary in 1918 as a member of the first class to include…
  8. Martha Wayles Skelton Jefferson (1748-1782)

    Biographical Sketch Martha Wayles was born at The Forest Plantation in Charles City County, VA on October 31, 1748, daughter of John Wayles and Martha Eppes. She married her first husband Bathurst…
  9. Martha Wren Briggs Amphitheatre at Lake Matoaka

    Martha Wren Briggs Amphitheatre at Lake Matoaka Constructed: 1946-1947 Renovations: 2006 Other names: Common Glory Stage, Amphitheater, Lake Matoaka Amphitheatre
  10. Martin Family Stadium

    Martin Family Stadium at William & Mary was dedicated in the spring of 2011. The new stadium was named in honor of Eff and Patty Martin, and their children, Andrew, Christine and Julia '09. It is…
  11. Mary Alice Ankers

    Excerpted from the Stoy Family of Northern Virginia database (http://www.robertstoy.com/database/index_database.htm): Mary Alice Ankers was born 1 February 1915 in Virginia.1,2 She was the daughter…
  12. Mascot

    From the 1938 Colonial Echo William & Mary has had several mascots since beginning to play organized athletics in the late 19th century. The university has also had several nicknames for its…
  13. Mason School of Business

    The first Business courses taught at William & Mary were given during the 1919-1920 academic year. By 1930, the number of students enrolled in business classes totaled 556. In 1941, John Stewart…
  14. Mason, George

    George Mason IV (December 11, 1725 - October 7, 1792) was a United States patriot, statesman, and delegate from Virginia to the U.S. Constitutional Convention. He is called the "Father of the Bill of…
  15. Mathematics Department

    "The Mathematics Department dates back to the original Charter from King William and Queen Mary on February 6, 1693. Mathematics was represented by one of the six Masters or Professors, and when the…
  16. Matoaka Theatre

    Matoaka Theatre Constructed: 1934 Dedication: October 20, 1934
  17. Matthew Fontaine Maury

    Matthew Fontaine Maury was suggested for the presidency of William & Mary by Benjamin Blake Minor, William & Mary student 1838-1839, the author B.B.M. in articles published in the Southern…
  18. Matthew Whaley School

    The Matthew Whaley School or Matty Whaley School is located in Williamsburg, Virginia. Overview Matthew (Mattey) Whaley, the only son of James and Mary Page Whaley was born in 1696 in Williamsburg.…
  19. Max Blitzer

    Max Blitzer was a student at William & Mary from 1911-1914. He was business manager of the student newspaper, The Flat Hat in 1912 and in 1913 became its Editor-in-Chief.
  20. Maximilian Hartman

    Maximilian Hartman was born circa 1837 in Bavaria, Germany. In Germany, he worked as a tailor. After emigrating to the United States, he resided in Reading, Pennsylvania. In 1861, Maximilian and his…
  21. McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center

    McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center Constructed: 1995 Named for: Mark H. McCormack and Betsy Nagelsen
  22. McGlothlin-Street Hall

    McGlothlin-Street Hall Constructed: 1990s Dedication: October 27, 1995 Previous names: Tercentenary Hall
  23. Medical Education at William & Mary

    The history of medical education at William & Mary begins with the founding of the Chair of Anatomy and Medicine on 4 December 1779 as a part of Thomas Jefferson's reforms of the College. While…
  24. Medieval and Renaissance Studies Program

    "The Medieval and Renaissance Studies Program encourages the interdisciplinary study of Europe between 300 CE and 1700 CE. Capturing the values, practices, and contexts of subjects in these centuries…
  25. Melvyn D. Schiavelli

    Melvyn D. Schiavelli was Provost of William & Mary from 1986 - 1993. He was Assistant Professor of Chemistry from 1968-1971, Associate Professor of Chemistry from 1971-1980, full Professor from…
  26. Memorial Garden

    The William & Mary Memorial Garden "located in College Woods - just off the main path between Miller Hall and the Lake Matoaka Amphitheater, will provide a dignified, reflective place to…
  27. Methodist Parsonage

    Methodist Parsonage Constructed: pre-1911 Acquired by the College: 1929 Previous names: Kappa Alpha House
  28. Miaki Yakaoka

    Miaki Yakaoka was a visiting potter or ceramicist at William & Mary in the spring of 1974. References Alumni Gazette, May 1977.  
  29. Michael Halleran

    Michael Halleran has been Provost of William & Mary from 2003 - present.
  30. Miller Hall

    Construction Miller Hall, 2009 Constructed: 2007-2009 Opened: 2009 Named for: Alan B. Miller
  31. Millington Hall

    Millington Hall, 2008 Constructed: 1966-1968 Dedication: May 4, 1968
  32. Mills E. Godwin

    Mills E. Godwin, Jr. has the distinction of having been the nation's only governor to serve one term as a Democrat and another term as a Republican. His two terms epitomized the switch by…
  33. Minnie G. Braithwaite

    Minnie Galt Braithwaite Jenkins (1874-1954) was from Williamsburg, Virginia.
  34. Miriam D. Plotnicov

    Born in Fostoria, Ohio in 1925, Miriam left home at eighteen take up residence in New York City where her winning sketch for a date dress entitled her to study fashion design at Pratt Institute. She…
  35. Molly Elliot Seawell

    Molly Elliot Seawell "(October 23, 1860 Gloucester, Virginia - November 15, 1916 Washington, D. C.) was an American writer. Baptized as "Mary," Molly Elliot Seawell was born into one of the older…
  36. Moncure House

    Moncure House Constructed: ca. 1898 Purchased by the College: 1926 Named for: Blanche E. Moncure Renovations: 1927
  37. Monroe Hall

    Monroe Hall Constructed: 1923-1924 Previous names: James Monroe Memorial Hall Named for: James Monroe
  38. Morris House

    Morris House Acquired by the College: 1928 Named for: Mattie C. Morris Demolished: 1964
  39. Mortar Board

    The first women admitted to the College of William & Mary in 1918 were not permitted to join the literary societies, so they formed the Alpha Club which later became Mortar Board. All women…
  40. Mullen House

    The Mullen House of William & Mary is located at 197 Armistead Avenue, on the east side. It is the home to the Delta Phi. Omega Alpha Chapter fraternity. The house was built between June 1920 and…
  41. Murry Charles Falkner

    Murry Charles Falkner is best known for his book The Falkners of Mississippi: A Memoir, published in 1967. Born in Ripley, Mississippi, on June 26, 1899, the second of Murry Cuthbert and Maud Butler…
  42. Muscarelle Museum of Art

    The Muscarelle Museum of Art is located in Lamberson Hall at 611 Jamestown Road on the New Campus, between Morton Hall and Phi Beta Kappa Hall at William & Mary. Contents

Want to find out more?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for other resources to help you find materials of interest.

Questions? Have ideas or updates for articles you'd like to see? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090.

A note about the contents of this site

This website contains the best available information from known sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information in this website is not complete, and it changes as we continue to research and uncover new sources.