Skip to main content
Main Content
  1. Taliaferro Building

    Taliaferro Building Constructed: 1893-1894 Renovations: 1914, 1932, 1936-1937 Renamed: Fine Arts Building, 1937
  2. Tappahannock Extension Division

    The Tappahannock Extension Division was one of several extensions of William & Mary in the 20th century. In the late 1920s-1930, extension courses were offered in eleven different communities by …
  3. Tau Chi Literary Society

    The Tau Chi Literary Society existed at William & Mary from 1839 to 1850 with anywhere from 5 to 20 student members active at any one time. The society held weekly meetings where they read…
  4. Taylor building

    Taylor Building Sold by the College: 2007
  5. Tennis Courts

    The first tennis courts at William & Mary were located behind the Wren Building. The newspaper for students College Topics (1908-1909) includes references to the desire and need for tennis courts…
  6. Terry L. Meyers

    Terry L. Meyers is a professor at William & Mary in the Department of English (1970 - Present). He has served as Department Chair of English and the Department of Philosophy (2007). He received…
  7. Thatcher Prize

    The Thatcher Prize For Excellence in Graduate and Professional Study was created in honor of Margaret, The Lady Thatcher, the 21st Chancellor of William & Mary. The award is presented annually to…
  8. The Brafferton

    The Brafferton, 105 Jamestown Road, is located on the south side of the Wren Yard, southeast of the Wren Building. It was built in 1723 by William & Mary with funds from the estate of English…
  9. The College and Slavery

    William & Mary benefited from enslaved labor from its inception in 1693 until the Emancipation Proclamation made slavery illegal in the Confederate states in 1863. Recently, universities have…
  10. The Common Glory

    The Jamestown Corporation produced The Common Glory, a Paul Green symphonic drama, nearly every summer of its thirty year existence.
  11. The DoG Street Journal

    The DoG Street Journal was first published by William & Mary students in January 2003. Electronic versions of the DSJ is available online at https://digitalarchive.wm.edu/handle/10288/368. It is…
  12. The Flat Hat

    The Flat Hat, a student newspaper at William & Mary, is a rich source of information, announcing events taking place on campus as well as reflecting student opinion. It began publication in…
  13. The Forum

    The Forum of William & Mary took a concrete form in the Spring of 1989 with two meetings and a reception. This effort was revived in 1991, and the Black Faculty and Staff Forum (as it was then…
  14. The Gallery

    The Gallery was formerly The Gallery of Writing. Electronic versions of the DSJ is available online at https://digitalarchive.wm.edu/handle/10288/13672. It is one of many William & Mary…
  15. The Owl

    The only known copy of the satirical newspaper The Owl was published in January 1854. It is the oldest student publication of William & Mary in the holdings of the Special Collections Research…
  16. The Pillory

    The Pillory was first published by William & Mary students in 1991.
  17. The Progressive

    The Progressive/W&M Progressive was first published in October 2005. It is one of many William & Mary publications.
  18. The Scalper

    Two known and unrelated publications with the title The Scalper were published at William & Mary-the first in 1925 and the second in 1950.  It is one of many William & Mary publications.
  19. The Virginia Informer

    The Virginia Informer was first published in August 2005. Electronic versions of the Virginia Informer are available online at the William & Mary Digital Archive. It is one of many William &…
  20. Theta Delta Chi Epsilon Chapter

    Theta Delta Chi, the eleventh oldest of the U.S. college fraternities, was founded in 1847 at Union College in Schenectady, New York by six members of the class of 1849. The fraternity's second…
  21. Thiemes House

    Thieme's House, 2008 Named for: Mr. & Mrs. A.K. Thieme
  22. Thomas Ashley Graves, Jr.

    Thomas Ashley Graves, Jr. was the twenty-third president of William & Mary. He served from September 1, 1971 until January 9, 1985. Upon his resignation George R. Healy acted as interim president…
  23. Thomas Ashley Graves, Jr. Award

    The Thomas Ashley Graves, Jr. Award for Sustained Excellence in Teaching is presented annually to the William & Mary professor that displays a strong commitment to the education of students and…
  24. Thomas Ballard

    For the William & Mary site, a tract of 330 acres was purchased for £170 from Captain Thomas Ballard on December 20, 1693. Ballard has no other direct connection to William & Mary. The…
  25. Thomas Bray (c. 1658 - 1730)

    Biographical Sketch "Born at Marton in Shropshire [England], Bray went from grammar School to Oxford and was ordained [Church of England] on graduation. After a short curacy he became domestic…
  26. Thomas Charles Millington

    Thomas Millington (1816-1853) is the artist of the well-known drawings of the Brafferton, Wren Building, and President's House circa 1840s-1850, the multiple versions of which are known as the…
  27. Thomas Dawson

    William & Mary President: Thomas DawsonTerm Served: 1 November 1755 - 29 November 1760Preceded by: William Stith 1752 - 1755Succeeded by: William Yates 1760 - 1764
  28. Thomas G. Pullen, Jr.

    Thomas G. Pullen, Jr. (1898-1979) was an alumnus of William & Mary. He graduated in 1917. He was married to Louise Rowe Pullen. Pullen served as superintendent of Public Education in Maryland,…
  29. Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

    Thomas Jefferson first came to Williamsburg to attend William & Mary in March 1760. Until April 1762, Jefferson lodged and boarded in the building known today as the Sir Christopher Wren Building…
  30. Thomas Jefferson Award

    The Thomas Jefferson Award is awarded at William & Mary's Charter Day. The award is given each year to a member of the William & Mary family for significant service through their personal…
  31. Thomas Jefferson Prize in Natural Philosophy

    The Thomas Jefferson Prize in Natural Philosophy is awarded at William & Mary's Charter Day. The faculty presents the award to a deserving undergraduate student. The prize has been endowed by the…
  32. Thomas Jefferson Teaching Award

    The Thomas Jefferson Teaching Award is awarded at William & Mary's Charter Day, and is a tribute to several members of the faculty who influenced and encouraged Thomas Jefferson. The award is…
  33. Thomas L. Williams

    Born in 1912 in Shire Oaks, Pennsylvania, Thomas L. Williams studied photography at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh. Shortly after graduating for the Institute, Mr. Williams enlisted in the Navy…
  34. Thomas Robie

    Thomas Robie (1689-1725) was born in Boston, Massachusetts in 1689. He graduated from Harvard University in 1708 and worked as a teacher at Watertown, Massachusetts until 1713. In 1709 Robie…
  35. Thomas Roderick Dew

    Thomas Roderick Dew, twelfth president of William & Mary, was born to a wealthy tidewater plantation family on on December 5, 1802, the son of Thomas Dew and Lucy E. Gatewood Dew. Dew graduated…
  36. Thomas Sherlock

    Thomas Sherlock served as the chancellor of William & Mary from 1741 until 1761. During his life, he also served as the master of Saint Catharine's College at Cambridge (1714-1719), the Bishop of…
  37. Thomas Tenison

    Thomas Tenison served as the Archbishop of Canterbury from 1694 until his death in 1715. He served as chancellor of William & Mary from 1700 until 1707.
  38. Thomas Thorne

    Thomas E. Thorne was a member of the faculty in Fine Arts at William & Mary from 1940 through 1975. During his time at the College, he also served as Chair of the Fine Arts Department. His…
  39. Thomas Tully Lynch Snead

    Thomas Tully Lynch Snead attended the William & Mary from 1852 through 1856 and served as a professor from 1856 until the early 1870s.
  40. Tiberius Gracchus Jones Prize

    Tiberius Gracchus Jones Prize Material in the Special Collections Research Center Guide for conducting research related to the College of William & Mary References in the The Flat Hat, William…
  41. Timothy J. Sullivan

    William & Mary President: Timothy J. Sullivan
  42. Track and Field

    The earliest reference to an organized Track and Field team at William & Mary can be found in the 1906, page 74 Colonial Echo yearbook. The 1903, page 56 and 1905, page 64 yearbooks mention a…
  43. Traditions and Legends

    At William & Mary, there is a great number of traditions, secret locations, rumors, and urban legends. This page is meant as a brief introduction to these varied events, locations, and stories.
  44. Transfer to the Faculty In Virginia

    The Transfer to the Faculty in Virginia, 27 February 1729, transferred the Royal Charter and the ruling authority of William & Mary from the original founders named in the Charter and gave it to…
  45. Travis L. Summersgill

    Travis L. Summersgill was a member of the faculty in the Department of English at William & Mary from 1948-1956. His appointments: Assistant Professor of English, 1948-1952; Associate Professor…
  46. Tribe Square

    Tribe Square, located across Richmond Road from Blow Memorial Hall and next to Wawa opened in the fall of 2011. Tribe Square offers 56 upper level students a unique living opportunity at William…
  47. Trinkle Hall

    Trinkle Hall opened in September 1926 at William & Mary. Around 1920 a temporary addition was added to the Dining Hall with materials from the Penniman complex. The structure was intended to…
  48. Tucker Hall

    Tucker Hall circa 2009 Construction: 1908-1909 Opened: 1909 as the Library Renamed Marshall-Wythe Hall: 1968
  49. Tucker-Coleman Family

    One of the jewels in the crown of Swem Library is the Tucker-Coleman Collection, the gift of descendants of St. George Tucker. This remarkable family of lawyers, judges, teachers and authors has left…
  50. Tuition

    Tuition at William & Mary is published annually in the catalog. All known university catalogs have been digitized and are available online. Discussion of tuition increases as well as any mid-year…

Want to find out more?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for other resources to help you find materials of interest.

Questions? Have ideas or updates for articles you'd like to see? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090.

A note about the contents of this site

This website contains the best available information from known sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information in this website is not complete, and it changes as we continue to research and uncover new sources.